The Legal Department provides legal representation and advice to the Town Manager, the Board of Selectmen, and all other officials, departments, and commissions of the Town of Arlington. The Department advises all Town boards and officials about their legal responsibilities and prerogatives. It represents the Town, its agencies and officers in all courts of various state and federal jurisdiction within Massachusetts and before state administrative agencies such as the Civil Service Commission, the Labor Relations Commission, the Appellate Tax Board, the Department of
Environmental Protection, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and the Department of Industrial Accidents. The Legal Department is responsible for handling the following representative matters:
• Investigation, analysis, adjusting and/or litigation of all personal injury, contract, civil rights, property damage and other claims brought against the Town of Arlington.
• Representation of the Town in affirmative litigation.
• Drafting warrant articles and votes at Town Meeting for Town officials and citizens of the Town.
• Preparation and/or review of all contracts, leases, deeds, applications and other legal instruments concerning contractual and legal arrangements with public and private agencies in the purchase of properties and materials, the rendering of services, and awarding of grants.
• Managing and administration of the Town’s Workers’ Compensation self-insurance program, including for the School Department.
• Managing and administration of Police and Fire line-of-duty claims.
• Identification and prosecution of subrogation and indemnity claims.
• Building/zoning enforcement actions and health and fire code violations in the courts.
• Representing the Town's interests in bankruptcy actions.
• Preparation of all Town By-laws.
• Preparation of all Special Legislation for the Town Manager, Board of Selectmen, and Town Meeting.
• Attendance at all Board of Selectmen’s meetings and meetings of various other municipal boards, commissions and committees when requested.
• Preparation of written advisory and interpretive opinions.