Please note that the Thorndike Off-Leash Dog Recreation Area will be closed for repairs and renovations from Thursday, November 16th through Monday, November 26th. If you have any questions regarding the renovation work please contact Director of Recreation, Joseph Connelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thorndike Field Dog Off-Leash Recreation Area (OLRA)
Hours of Operation 6 a.m. - 9 p.m, daily
The Thorndike Field Dog Off-Leash Recreation Area (OLRA) opened May 21, 2012.
Users of the Thorndike OLRA facility do so at their own risk. The Town of Arlington, Arlington Recreation Department and Arlington Park & Recreation Commission are not liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog in the OLRA.
With the opening of the Thorndike OLRA the Park Commission has eliminated off-leash hours at Magnolia Park and Thorndike Field from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.This change will go into effect as of Monday, May 21, 2012.
OLRA Rules and Regulations
All incidents, injuries or inappropriate conduct by dogs or people should be reported to Arlington Recreation, 781-316-3880. The Town of Arlington may ban individual dogs or people from the OLRA facility at any time for any reason.
Please remember to use good off-leash recreation area etiquette when using the Thorndike Park facility. Be respectful of other OLRA and park users!
What to know before you enter
- The OLRA is for dogs, their handlers and those accompanying them. No other use is allowed.
- All dogs must be licensed, vaccinated, and healthy (no contagious diseases or parasites).
- Dogs showing aggression towards people or other dogs are not allowed in the OLRA.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months old to enter the OLRA.
- Dogs in heat are not allowed in the OLRA.
- Prong and choke collars must be removed upon entering the OLRA.
- Dogs must be leashed when entering or exiting the OLRA. Please enter and exit at designated entry points and be cautious when exiting onto the Minuteman Bikepath.
- No more than two dogs per handler may enter the OLRA.
- Handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- Handlers are responsible for any injuries or damage caused by the dog(s) under their control.
While you are in the OLRA
- Dogs must be in view and under the control of their handler at all times.
- Dogs must be removed from the OLRA at the first sign of aggression.
- Handlers must pick up and dispose of their dog's waste immediately and should encourage others to do the same. The pooper-scooper bylaw is in effect at the OLRA.
- Digging is not permitted. Handlers must fill any holes dug by dogs under their control.
- Excessive barking is not allowed.
- Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- The OLRA is not a play space for children. Children should not run around or yell – this can trigger a dog’s natural chasing response.
- Handlers must have possession of the dog’s leash(es) at all times.
- No food and no smoking are allowed in the OLRA.
- Training treats are allowed, but dog food is NOT allowed.