ARLINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
In accordance with the provisions of Massachusetts General laws, Chapter 30A,
Section 20, notice is hereby given for the following meeting of the:
Arlington School Committee
Regular School Committee Meeting
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Arlington High School
School Committee Room – Sixth Floor
869 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476
6:30 Opening Remarks (10 minutes) K. Allison-Ampe
6:40 Public Participation (10 minutes)
(per File BEDH, ASC Policy Manual)
- Speakers will be allowed three (3) minutes to present their material.
- Issues requiring extensive discussion may be deferred to a future meeting as a scheduled agenda item.
- All remarks will be addressed through the chairperson of the meeting
6:50 Arlington High School Program of Studies (15 minutes), M. Villano
- Mathematics (Add Quantitative Reasoning)
- World Language (Add: Latin Language and Culture 1A and 1b, Italian 1, Mandarin4)
- Visual Arts (Add: Painting, Mixed Media and Sculpture, Delete: Ceramics)
- Science (Add: Gr. 10 option AP Physics)
- Family and Consumer Science (Add: Bake Shop Science)
7:05 Central Registration Plan, Goal I-4, (20 minutes ) – K. Bodie, L. D’Agostino
7:25 FY 14 Budget Presentation (60 minutes) K. Bodie, D. Johnson
8:25 Update on Thompson Rebuild (5 minutes) K. Bodie
8:30 Superintendent Report (10 minutes) K. Bodie
8:40 Subcommittee & Liaison Reports (30 minutes)
- Policies & Procedures, J. Pierce
- Budget C. Starks
- Community Relations L. Heigham
- Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment & Accountability J. Thielman
- Facilities W. Hayner
- Legal Services Review Chair
- Chair K. Allison-Ampe
9:10 Consent Agenda (5 minutes)
All items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a member of the committee so request, in which event the item will be considered in its normal sequence:
*Approval of Warrant # 13110 Dated, January 24, 2013, Total Warrant Amount $585,094.36
*Minutes for Approval: none
*Approval of Facing Racism student Weekend Retreat, March 8, 2013 – March 10, 2013
*Approval of Italy Trip, April 17-24, 2014 for all high school and community members
*Approval of ELL Coach Job Description
9:15 Secretary’s Report (5 minutes) L. Heigham
9:20 Executive Session (10 minutes)
- To conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with union and/or nonunion personnel or contract negotiations with union and/or nonunion in which if held in an open meeting may have a detrimental effect.
To conduct strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation, in which if held in an open meeting may have a detrimental effect, Collective bargaining may also be conducted.
*The listings of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair, which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Submitted by: K. Allison-Ampe, Chair, Arlington School Committee
**Stated times and time amounts (listed in parenthesis) are the estimated amount of time for that particular agenda item. Actual times may be shorter or longer depending on the time needed to fully explore the topic.