Be Helpful, Be Happy, Be Healthy, Volunteer!
Council on Aging volunteers play a crucial role in outreach to Arlington seniors. Our programs could not operate without the skills, energy, and commitment of our volunteers, who last year contributed over 6,000 hours of service. When you add your time to the COA's efforts, you can be sure that you have an impact on the lives of our elders, and enhance the overall quality of life in our community. For more information, or to schedule an appointment to discuss volunteer opportunities, please call Bill Murphy, Coordinator of Volunteers, at the COA at 781-316-3403.
If you're a "people person", you might consider:
- Medical Escort - drive elderly and disabled residents to medical appointments
- Friendly Visitor - provide companionship in client's home
If you prefer an office environment, you can:
- Perform reception and office duties
- Help in an assortment of health clinics
If you enjoy advocacy, information, and detail, you might assist in:
- Serving Health Information Needs of Elders (S.H.I.N.E.) - supply health information and benefits assistance
- Tax Abatement - Aid qualified residents with property tax adjustments
If you like to express your creativity, you can participate in:
- Television - write and broadcast local cable programming for seniors
- Publicity and public relations efforts for the COA
If Organization Leadership appeals to you, consider:
- COA Board of Directors - identify needs, promote services, and enlist and develop volunteers and professional leadership
- Special Projects - research, reports, committee work, event planning, inter generational activities
If occasional involvement is your goal, you can participate in:
- Annual Thanksgiving Meals Program
- Large Mailings, Town Day
- Miscellaneous efforts on an as-needed or as-available basis.