Firearm Licensing Information

License to Carry:
The links below contain information about who is eligible to apply for either a license to carry a firearm or a Firearm Identification Card, as well as the process used by The Arlington Police Department to issue a Firearm Identification Card or a license to carry a firearm, both new or renewal.

Take a Basic Firearm Safety Course before turning in an application (if new).

Fill out an application in it's entirety (same application is used for FID, LTC, and Renewals).
Submit application by hand to the Records Division only. Records Division hours: Monday-Thursday, 8am-4pm & Friday 8am-12pm.
When you submit your application please schedule an appointment for an interview. If you can't schedule at the time of submission please call 781-316-3943 as soon as possible to make an appointment. Your application will not be processed until you have a formal interview.

Appointments are made only on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. No walks in accepted.
Applicants must bring the following to their appointment:

A Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate issued by a Certified Instructor (if new).
Positive proof of identity (ie. Massachusetts Driver's License with Arlington address); AND
Positive proof of residency (this MUST be in the form of a property tax bill, lease or mortgage)
A $100 check or money order (no cash or credit card accepted) made out to the Town of Arlington. FID card under 18: $25, FID no restrictions: $100, LTC: $100, Law Enforcement Officer: $25 Over 70 years of age FID or LTC Renewal: FREE
If you are a naturalized citizen, applicants must provide a copy of their Naturalization Certificate.
LTC applicants must be at least 21 years of age. FID applicants must be at least 18 years of age. If the FID applicant is between 15 and 18 years of age, a notarized parental consent letter is required.
Additional information regarding the eligibility of candidates can be found on page 3 of the application.

An FID card is no longer required to purchase self defense spray (over 18) as of August 2014.

Change of Address

A cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of address within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension of the license. (Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131)

Firearms Change of Address Form

Transactions Under the Control of Massachusetts

We often receive requests for information about other firearms licenses and transactions that are under the control of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety.

If you have questions about:

Non-MA residents who are US citizens obtaining a License to Carry
Non-US citizens who are MA residents who wish to obtain a FID card
How to appeal the denial of an application to obtain a firearm license or permit
How to find a Firearm Safety Course near you
Or how to transfer ownership of a firearm, please follow the link below

Many of the transactions on the state Firearms Forms page can safely and secured can be accomplished online. Please note: As of February 15, 2015, firearms licensees and gun owners are required by law to report ALL private sales, transfers, and surrenders of firearms to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau via the Gun Portal. Paper FA-10 forms will no longer be accepted for these transaction types.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Firearms Services web page

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer