Public Works / Recycling and Trash Information During Minimal Staff Plan
Town Hall Admin Office Now Available Only by Phone, Online. There is no interruption of trash or recycling services, but drop-off programs suspended.
3/16/2020 1:32:51 PM
Arlington's Commercial Orange Bag Program
- This pay-as-you-throw, trash metering program allows participating businesses to pay for only the trash they create
- The cost is $2.30 per 32 gallon bag, and sold in rolls of 10 bags for $23.00
- All trash must be inside the orange bags at the curb
- Orange bags can be put out at the curb between 6-7 AM on the day of your collection
- Recycling collection is included with this program
- Register with Department of Public Works (51 Grove Street) to become a part of the program
- Not all businesses will qualify
- Once registered, businesses may purchase commercial orange bags at Wanamaker True Value Hardware, Shattuck Ace Hardware, and at the Arlington DPW office.
- Refer to Massachusetts Waste Disposal Ban laws for prohibited trash items
Why Should My Business Recycle?
Many customers in Arlington value environmentally friendly businesses, who practice recycling or composting. Becoming a businesses that recycles could generate loyalty and boost your sales. Also, it's easy, good for our planet, and could save you money in trash fees.Keeping recyclable materials out of the trash is required of all residents and businesses, per state and local laws. Therefore, at this time there is no charge for recycling when it is placed, correctly, with commercial orange bags. Use a blue reusable container to hold your recycling, and help prevent litter in our community by using a larger enough container to hold your recycling on windy days.
Illustration by Gail McCormick
Federal and State Holidays
Trash and recycling will be delayed by one day on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Observance, President's Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day, Independent's Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Private Haulers for Recycling and Trash- businesses that are permitted to work within our town by the Health Department
- Pay as you Throw- Commercial orange bag program- Call Recycling Coordinator Charlotte Milan to find out if your business is eligible for this program, 781-316-3108
- Recycling Guide for Business in Arlington- produced by Nami Yamaguchi, Arlington High School
- Arlington is served by the Northeast region of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP).
- Massachusetts' RecyclingWorks is a great resource for selling, buying, and trading useful materials
- Business and Institutional Furniture and Office Equipment Reuse Guidance
Rules & Regulations
Massachusetts Waste Disposal Ban
The following items are prohibited from disposal and/or transfer for disposal in Massachusetts:
- Asphalt pavement, brick, and concrete
- Cathode ray tubes
- Clean gypsum wallboard
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Glass and metal containers
- Lead acid batteries
- Recyclable paper, cardboard and paperboard
- Single resin narrow-necked plastics
- Treated and untreated wood and wood waste
- White goods (large appliances)
- Whole tires (some)
310 CMR 19.017: Waste Disposal Ban Regulation
MassDEP Waste and Recycling Laws & Rules:
Includes brochures, guides, a matrix of all laws and regulations in tabular form
Regulations for solid and toxic waste, water disposal bans, Federal & State laws