Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee
The Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee (ABAC) was appointed by the Select Board in 1996 to advise the Town on local bicycling conditions. The all-volunteer committee promotes all forms of safe bicycling on town roadways and the Minuteman Bikeway — from recreational riding to using the bicycle for transportation and errands.
ABAC meets monthly to discuss bicycle-related topics and issues in Town (usually on the third Wednesday night of the month). ABAC meetings are posted in advance and open to the public. To receive occasional announcements and updates by e-mail, sign up for our mailing list.
Navigating the Minuteman Bikeway - Final Report (2014)
Supported by a Recreational Trails Grant from the State Department of Conservation and Recreation, the Bikeway communities of Arlington, Lexington and Bedford worked to create a new map of the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway, and contracted with Toole Design Group to help plan for the Bikeway's future as an amenity that preserves its historical and natural characteristics and also enhances its use as a recreational and commuter way. Access the final report and recommendations by clicking here.
Arlington Bicycle Parking Guidelines
The Arlington Bicycle Parking Guidelines is an illustrated handbook that clarifies the Town’s general, short-, and long-term bike parking requirements. The Guidelines illustrate the location and design of bike parking. The Guidelines also include recommendations and best practices for installing safe, secure, and usable bike parking in a variety of circumstances. Selecting good locations and equipment for bicycle parking can help maximize ridership and increase safety and security for riders.
You can get involved with ABAC in a number of ways:
- Attend one of our monthly meetings
- Subscribe to our mailing list for occasional updates and announcements.
- Participate in our annual Bike Arlington Tour (May).
- Participate in our Minuteman Bikeway Clean-up efforts (May–August).
- Visit our booth at Arlington Town Day (September).
- Volunteer to help out on one of ABAC's projects.
- Contact us with any suggestions for improving bicycling conditions in Arlington.
- Become a member of the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition (MassBike).