Check out the Zero Waste Arlington Committee
Meet others who share your interests in a zero-waste lifestyle, let the Town know what you’d like to help make happen to reduce waste in our community, and get involved in this essential environmental, public health and local governance issues.
Overview and Mission
The Zero Waste Arlington Committee is comprised of ten members appointed by the Town Moderator and one Town employee designated by the Town Manager.
The mission of ZWA is to foster greater participation in all forms of waste reduction to improve health and restore the environment. ZWA shall conduct outreach efforts to help the Town reduce generation of waste overall, while increasing the options for, and quality of, recycling.
ZWA shall advise the Town and advocate for policies which align with Massachusetts’ goals for municipal solid waste reduction, which includes responding to advances in recycled material sorting technologies and to changes in market demand for recovered materials. ZWA shall also provide education and support at all levels within the community to create, implement, and promote programs that drive down the need for solid waste disposal via landfill or incineration. Such programs shall include, but not be limited to, increasing diversion of organics, reducing plasticware retail sale and distribution, creating awareness about excessive consumer packaging, minimizing recycling contamination, teaching repair and repurpose, and encouraging community swapping and sharing practices.
We’re excited to share some of the initiatives we’re working on:
- Expanding the committee’s scope and changing our name to encompass efforts aimed at moving Arlington towards a zero-waste community.
- Exploring ways to reduce single-use plastic waste in Arlington.
- Supporting town efforts to increase food-scrap diversion through composting activities.
- Educational programming at key town-wide events (e.g. Earth Day, Town Day, Feast of the East).
We welcome and need your help!
Are you passionate about reducing trash in Arlington? Do you want to learn more about how you can help? We welcome everyone in the community to get more involved, however you are able to do so.
Ways to get involved
- Become a super recycler! Ensure your home or business is following town policies and best practices on recycling.
- Follow our FaceBook page to stay apprised of news and best practices for reducing waste.
- Join the Zero Waste Arlington Arlington Committee email listserv to stay updated on upcoming events and volunteer opportunities. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe
- Volunteer at an upcoming event. E.g., Volunteer at the Recycling Center by spending a few hours one Saturday. You will become a more informed super-recycler and can be a source of information for your friends and networks. Contact email@example.com to volunteer.
- Join one of our upcoming committee meetings and contribute your ideas on how we can move towards a zero-waste community. The public is invited to attend monthly committee meetings. See the EVENTS calendar for upcoming meeting dates. Previous meeting agendas and minutes are available by clicking "more" in the EVENTS calendar box.
Contact the Arlington Recycling Coordinator Charlotte Milan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-316-3108 for more information.
The Town of Arlington Recycling Page contains more information on how, what and when to recycle more materials.